24 December, 2005
AmiKit is the compilation of the best Amiga (free/shareware) programs around. To be brief, AmiKit is all you need if you want to experience a high-end Classic Amiga system. It contains many expansions and add-ons (more than 20.000 files are included in AmiKit!) that turn the default AmigaOS installation into a completely renewed and fresh environment. This pre-configured package is designed for immediate use. Moreover, it contains an exciting surprise for the whole Amiga community, see the features!
The most exciting feature of AmiKit is:
Directory Opus Magellan II v5.82
used as a Workbench replacement! This commercial software has never been freely released to the public before. If you do not know anything about this excellent piece of software, you should check it out NOW! You're going to love it. Here are few words from Andreas Loong (GuruMeditation), who has kindly given permission to use DOpus Magellan II in the AmiKit project: "We acquired the full rights to Dopus Magellan late 2004. We've agreed to include the trial version on this distribution to let people have a go and tinker with it as much as they like. We're closing in on a new release, updated with various features that will come towards the end of 2005. If you find the version here worth your time, I hope you will check out the version we're making for AmigaOS 4!"
Next exclusive features of AmiKit
AmiStart(v0.66) -- Darius Brewka has created a special version for AmiKit
GlobalTrash(v1.5a1) -- Oliver Blumert has created an exclusive AmiKit preview version
ReqChange(v3.15) -- Magnus Holmgren has created a free keyfile for AmiKit
ShowAmiga96 (v2.3d) -- Heiko Mueller has created a special version for AmiKit
FullPalette (v40.23) -- Massimo Tantignone has sent me his updated version
Even more features
KensIcons -- complete set of icons, some painted exclusively for AmiKit by Ken Lester!
KensOS4 -- two visual themes exclusively created for AmiKit by Ken Lester!
microgolded -- the best text Amiga editor around has been licensed for AmiKit!
MorpheuZ -- tool that allows you to easily change the design of system windows in AmiKit!
AmiKit Launcher -- easy to use graphical user interface created by Rex Schilasky
Other major features
- User-friendly interface that helps you to manage all your files in an easy way!
- Internet browsing, mailing, chatting and downloading using various programs like AWeb, IBrowse, YAM, SimpleMail, AmIRC, AmiTradeCenter, AmiGift
- Reading PDF, M$, RTF and other document formats with the help of APDF, EvenMore, Antiword
- Manage your time and account with the help of Daywatch and HomeBank.
- Music software, net streaming, MP3 creating and sample editing software like AmigaAMP, AmiNetRadio, EaglePlayer, SymphoniePlayer, LAME, TheMPegEncGUI, SampleEditor
- Displaying (even in thumbnails) and editing pictures with the help of PicShow, Thumb, MysticView, FroggerNG, PerfectPaint Or enjoy the fractal world through ZoneXplorer!
- Easy handling of archives. They are opened like every other drawer. Or some external programs could be used instead (VooDoo-X, MUIUnArc, XPKatana)
- Massive FTP support through OpusFTP module. It has a full GUI for the Address Book and operational parameters.
- Software for burning and copying the CDs (MakeCD), for mounting virtual CDs (VirtualCD).
- You can make your AmiKit password protected. Just don't forget your password
- Pre-configured recognition and processing of many file formats (through the DOpus filetypes)
- Various system tools like SysInspector, SnoopDos, Q-Device, ShowPatches
- Antivirus software effectively checks the system files, memory and archives for viruses.
- Emulation software like ASp for retro ZX gaming
- Great taskbar software: AmiStart (for those who do not like the taskbars on Amiga, simply remove AmiStart from WBStartup. Easy!)
- Most advanced Amiga recycle bin software: GlobalTrash
- Visual enchancers and system enchancers like VisualPrefs, Birdie, TitleShadow, BoingBall, MagicMenu, MCP
- Warp3D compatibility thanks to QuarkTex software
- Adjust PC keyboard to your Amiga needs with the help of MMKeyboard software solution!
- Yes, some games are included as well
- A PC computer, a rather fast one. At least 256MB of RAM is recommended (otherwise decrease the RAM size in WinUAE config). AmiKit was created on AthlonXP 2500+ where the boot process of AmiKit takes about 12 seconds (or 10 seconds more with unregistered Directory Opus Magellan II, see limitations). I've also tried an AthlonXP 1800 and the speed of AmiKit was still acceptable.
- Gfx card capable of displaying 32bit screenmodes.
- WinUAE, the Windows port of the UAE Amiga Emulator. Version 1.1.1 is already included in AmiKit package, however if a newer version is found in your system, AmiKit will automatically use it.
- The source of AmigaOS3.x system files. AmiKit installation archive DOES NOT contain any copyrighted Amiga system files because AmigaOS3.x is still available (fortunately!). These system files will be copied from the original CD to AmiKit during the installation procedure. Come on, support the Amiga and buy the CD, if you haven't done so yet!
- AmigaOS ROM file (v3.1). You can obtain this from your real Amiga with the help of ROM ripper/grabber software (see Aminet). Another possibility is to buy the Amiga Forever package which includes the ROM file.